Wednesday, October 30, 2013

WAIW: Cookin' Up a Storm

I've loved being back home in Florida after our week long trip to Texas. I've been able to spend time with friends, see my co-workers, rest, and try out some new recipes. Unfortunately, jet lag hit Brett and I pretty hard yesterday night. He couldn't fall asleep and I couldn't STAY asleep. I woke up at 3:30 AM and was too awake to attempt sleeping any longer. So I just got up. I felt okay for most of the morning and was even able to get a quick 3.5 mile run in before work. But as the day continued, the tiredness started to kick in hard. Like, twitchy eyes, non-stop yawning hard. I even skipped my night class because I knew I would just be miserable and not retain anything our instructor said. Last night wasn't much better either. Hopefully as the week goes on I'll get back on track with sleeping through the night.

Even though sleep hasn't been great, it really has been so fun to be back in the kitchen. So far since Sunday I've made lentil and white bean "meatballs" (they weren't quite post worthy, but I did learn what not to do), chocolate mug cake, date paste for baking, gingerbread cookie oatmeal, acorn squash stuffed with apple-cranberry quinoa, black bean hummus and...wow. Have I really made that many different recipes since Sunday?! Guess so.

It's been a little crazy since I've gotten back home so I won't be sharing an entire day of eats. That will be next week for sure. For today though I'll just share some of my favorite recipe experiments since I've been home. Thanks Jenn for hosting "What I Ate Wednesday"!

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats


Breakfast:

Gingerbread Cookie Oatmeal


Gingerbread Cookie Oatmeal
(Makes 1 serving)


 Ingredients:

· 1 cup water
· 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
· 1/2 banana, thinly sliced
· 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
· 2 teaspoons molasses
· Pinch of salt
· Splash of vanilla extract
· Optional: extra molasses and/or non-dairy milk

Directions:
1.  Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
2. Add the oatmeal, banana and flaxseed and reduce the heat to medium. With a whisk, vigorously stir the mixture until the banana is whipped into the oats. Let cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Add in the cinnamon, ginger, molasses, salt and vanilla and whisk a little more.
4. Let cook a couple more minutes until it’s reached your desired consistency.
5. Top with a little more molasses and some milk and dig in!

Snacks and Sweets:

Spicy Black Bean Hummus
Black beans pureed with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro and spices.
This stuff is awesome with veggies or spread on a wrap.


Chocolate Mug Cake
I had this as an afternoon snack the other day.
So delicious.


Date Paste
I made this as a natural sweetener for my morning oats and smoothies.
And today I used it to make...


Cookie Dough Hummus
I ate some with an apple today.
Still can't believe the main ingredient is beans!
I'll post my adaption to this recipe soon.


Looks like I've had a bit of a sweet tooth lately...

Happy Wednesday!

Eat Consciously,
     Faith





2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I would so eat all of this. It all looks incredible, especially the mug cake and hummus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I liked all of it and can't wait to experiment more:)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!