Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ground "Turkey" and Black Bean Tacos

The first few weeks after going vegan I made a lot (and I mean A LOT) of Mexican dishes. I could easily saute some peppers and onions, open a can of beans, shred some lettuce and call it a meal. I wasn't confident enough to experiment with different faux meat yet and really didn't know what types of meatless protein options were out there.

After doing some research and reading different vegan cook books I discovered TVP: Textured Vegetable Protein. Sounds lovely, right? I initially just skimmed over it's description thinking that with a name like that it had to be something complex and too hard for a newbie vegan to cook with. But I was wrong. TVP is so simple to use and is a great source of protein. It takes on any flavor you want and has the texture of ground meat. The first time I used it was for vegan sloppy joes and I was really happy with how it turned out! These tacos turned out great too. The recipe made a lot, so Brett and I were able to eat it for leftovers in wraps and as taco salad throughout the week.

Have you ever used TVP before? Do you like it? If you're new to it and you try it out, let me know what you think!

Ground “Turkey” and Black Bean Tacos
(Makes 4 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1 small onion, sliced
· 2 cloves garlic
· 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
· 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
· 1 cup TVP
· 1 cup water
· 1 teaspoon chili powder
· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1/2 teaspoon cumin
· 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
· 4-8 wheat tortillas (depending on what size)
· Optional toppings: salsa, shredded lettuce or spinach, guacamole, vegan shredded cheese

Directions:

1. Bring one cup of water to a boil. Add the TVP and remove from heat.
2. Stir the spices (chili powder to cumin) into the TVP and water mixture and set aside.
3. While the TVP is soaking up the spices, sautĂ© the onion and garlic on medium heat until the onion softens. Then add the bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the drained and rinsed black beans and the TVP to the peppers and onions and mix until incorporated. Cook until the black beans are heated through.
5. Serve on wheat tortillas or a bed of lettuce with your choice of toppings!




Let me introduce you to TVP!



Looks just like ground turkey doesn't it?





Nutrition (without tortillas and toppings): Cals: 200; Fat: 1g: Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 11g; Sugar: 3.6g; Protein: 19.6g

Eat Consciously,

     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!