Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Homemade Lara Bars: Cashew Cookie (Three Ingredients)

I recently found out about Lara bars when I was looking for vegan granola bars at the grocery store. I saw "vegan" on the packaging and when I looked at the ingredient label I couldn't believe most of the different flavors used only two or three ingredients. I doubted how good they could be, but ended up loving them. Unfortunately they are pretty pricey, but no worries, you can easily make them by yourself at home. To make at home it cost me $2.54 for four bars. When I buy them at the store it averages out to about $4.80 for four bars. So you save over $2 to make them at home. Not bad!

And here's how you do it:

Cashew Cookie Lara Bars
(Makes 4 bars)


 Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup whole, unsalted cashews
· 3/4 cup pitted dates
· Pinch of sea salt

  Directions:

1. Start by roughly chopping the dates. Place them in a food processor and process until they turn into a sticky ball of dough. Remove from the processor and set aside.
2. Next place the cashews and a pinch of sea salt in the processor and process until they are a course meal. Don’t over process or they will start to make nut butter!
3. In a bowl, combine the date dough and cashew crumbs. Using your hands mash the nuts and dates together until they are fully incorporated and all the cashew crumbs are stuck to the dates and a dough has formed.
4. Place the date/cashew dough on some wax paper and form it into a 4 x 6 inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the rectangle into fourths and wrap individually. Store in the fridge or eat right away!














I was so pleased with the result! I felt like I was having a cookie.

Nutrition: Cals: 163; Fat: 6.5g; Carbs: 26.5g; Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 16.25g; Protein: 3.25g

Eat Consciously,

     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!