Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chocolate Mug Cake + A Small Dose of Iron

Changing your diet drastically is a big deal. Your body can be affected in many different ways: mentally and physically. I knew that going vegan was not something I could take lightly, but would need to do a good amount of nutritional research so I could insure I was getting enough protein and nutrients without eating meat or dairy. What are the best ways to get protein with a vegan diet? What nutrients are vegans most likely to be deficient in? Answers to these questions and more are what I researched early on in my new diet. 

Over all the switch to eating a vegan diet has been great. I haven't had stomach problems and I eat a wider variety of foods. I've even noticed that I recover more quickly from long runs than I used to before I went vegan. Just this past Friday I went on a nine mile run and I was barely sore the next day. Bonus.

One thing I do need to keep an eye on is my iron intake. As a girl in her mid-twenties I need 18 mg/day of iron. Some of the best sources of iron are soybeans, blackstrap molasses, cooked lentils, spinach and chickpeas. I did a little research on molasses and while blackstrap molasses is rich in iron and is formed when molasses goes through a third boiling which crystallizes the sucrose in the molasses making it less sweet. It would ruin baked goods if you tried to use it as a sweetener. 

I looked up some recipes that were high in iron and I came across this mug cake recipe.  While it doesn't use blackstrap molasses, and therefore isn't as rich in iron as I though, it does call for regular molasses and two tablespoons of ground flaxseed so it's fiber-licious. It's so easy to make and tastes amazing. If I left off the chocolate chips and added some berries on top, I would even consider it healthy enough to have for breakfast. Seriously. Try this out!


Chocolate Mug Cake
(Makes 1 serving)


 Ingredients:

· 3 tablespoons oat flour
· 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
· 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
· 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
· Pinch of salt
· 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
· 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
· 2 teaspoons molasses
· Splash of vanilla
· Optional: Coconut oil or baking spray
· Optional: Chopped fruit, berries, chocolate chips, agave nectar or maple syrup

Directions:
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients (from the oat flour to salt) together in a bowl with a fork so that there are no clumps.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients until combined, from applesauce to vanilla.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
4. Use oil or spray to grease the inside of a mug if you want to transfer the cake to a different dish after cooking. If you are going to eat it straight from the mug no oil or spray is needed.
5. Pour the batter into the mug and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
6. Transfer to a plate a top with desired toppings.
7. Dig in and enjoy your dose of iron!


 Notes: Adapted from With An Open Mind.




  



Eat Consciously,
     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!