Sunday, October 6, 2013

Peach Cobbler Baked Oatmeal with Streusel Topping

Brett and I are preparing, AGAIN, to go out of town. I think we will be going on eight different trips this fall, most of which are a week long. It's going to be crazy. And because of all the traveling, I know there will be many days where we are trying to just finish off random food in the fridge or pantry so that we don't have to go to the grocery store right before we leave town.

Today is one of those days. And we don't have much. So, I figured I'd try out another oatmeal recipe: peach cobbler. I'm starting to become more confident in my cooking skills and I think it's time to try out my own recipes and experiment a little more. Once I learn the basics of a dish, it's easier for me to improvise. Since I've gotten oatmeal down pretty well, I decided to create my own recipe with what we had left in the house: a peach. Despite my limited resources, I'm happy with how this oatmeal turned out! It felt like I was having dessert...and that's always fine by me.




Peace Cobbler Baked Oatmeal
With Streusel Topping
(Makes 1 serving)
  
 Ingredients:

· 1/3 cup milk
· 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
· Splash of vanilla extract
· 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
· 1 tablespoon flaxseed or hemp heart seeds (optional)
· 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/3 peach, chopped

For the streusel topping (optional):
· 1 tablespoon oat flour
· 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon vegan butter (I used earth balance)

  Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a individual ramekin with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the milk, syrup and vanilla.
3. Add in the dry ingredients: oats, seeds, baking powder, cinnamon and chopped peach. Mix to combine.
4. Pour the oat mixture into the ramekin.
5. In a separate bowl, use your fingers to combine the streusel topping ingredients: oat flour, cinnamon and butter. It should be crumbly and sticky.
6. Sprinkle the streusel topping on the oats.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes.





Eat Consciously,

     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!