Saturday, October 12, 2013

Edamame Pesto (Oil and Nut Free)

Wow.

Wow!

That's what I kept saying while I was sneaking taste tests of this pesto as I made it last night. I was so surprised at how closely it tasted like classic pesto, even without all the oil and nuts. Even better, this pesto is chalk-full of protein and is as easy to make as pushing a button - seriously that's really all it takes. 

As I continue to buy and experiment with new ingredients, I amazed at all the easy ways there are to get protein other than meat and dairy. While a bowl of pasta and pesto isn't everyone's first idea of a protein packed meal, if you eat 1/4 of this recipe you'll get more than 10 grams of protein. Not too shabby. 

Try it out and let me know what you think!


Edamame Pesto
(Makes 4 –6 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1 cup packed basil
· 2 cloves garlic
· 1 14 oz. frozen bag of shelled edamame, thawed
· 1/2—3/4 cup vegetable broth
· 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
· 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
· 1/2 teaspoon sea salt


Directions:

1. Place the basil and garlic in a food processor and pulse until the basil is well chopped.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and process until relatively smooth, occasionally stopping to push down the mixture from the sides of the processor with a spatula.
3. Serve with pasta or use as a spread for sandwiches!

Notes: Adapted from here.





Such a beautiful, bright green.


I ate my pesto with wheat linguine and sauteed mushrooms. Mmm.


You can use it as a spread on a veggie sandwich.


Or add it to some raw "pasta" using zucchini and carrots that have been peeled into long, thin strips!


Nutrition for 1/6: Cals: 91; Fat: 2g; Carbs: 9.5; Fiber: 4.1g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 7g

Eat Consciously,

     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!