Monday, October 14, 2013

Chocolate Cherry Zucchini Smoothie (a.k.a. Chocolate Shake)

I am currently training for a half marathon in December. It's my THIRD attempt at training for one - I always get injured. This time I'm making sure I cross train and get in a swim or bike session to cut down on the pounding on my joints. So far so good. I've worked up to 7 miles and have actually ran 7 miles for my long run three weekend in a row because I'm ahead of schedule. 

Usually I go for my long runs on Saturday or Sunday morning. I just get up and go. I love running in the mornings and being able to see the sun rise. BUT my body doesn't like running in the mornings. It's still asleep. I always feel so slow and sluggish. So this weekend I decided to go for a run in the evening. The weather has started to cool down so it was a great temperature. So many people were outside walking their dogs or having a picnic which made it a good people-watching-while-running-kind-of-night. I felt great too. Not sluggish like my recent morning runs. Unfortunately, even though I felt great, I ended up running slower than I usually do in the mornings. Weird. 

Anyways, I've been wanting to try out this chocolate cherry smoothie that has zucchini in it for a while and I finally bought some frozen cherries to do so. I was looking forward to it the entire time I was running. Hey, an motivation helps right? 

And praises, I wasn't disappointed with the result! Seriously. Try this smoothie. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake...except there is no dairy and you even get a serving of veggies in your belly!


Chocolate Cherry Zucchini smoothie
(Makes 2 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1 1/2 cups almond milk (half frozen into ice cubes)
· 1 medium zucchini, cut into chunks NOT sliced
· 1 cup of frozen sweet cherries, pitted
· 2 tablespoons almond butter*
· 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
· Splash of vanilla extract

* I haven’t tried this with any other nut butters yet, but I’m sure it would taste just as good!
* If you want a sweeter smoothie, add in either 2 dates OR 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener of choice.

Directions:

1. Place all of the ingredients in a high quality blender and blend until smooth. You may need to stop and mix the ingredients a couple of times to help the blender along.


Notes: Adapted from here.

Let me know if you try this with a different kind of nut butter or added sweetener!


Eat Consciously,

     Faith


3 comments:

  1. Faith! I found your blog and it's fun seeing all the recipes you've tried. I want to try some of them because they look delicious and super healthy.
    I have a smoothie/protein shake almost every morning - I'd love to try this recipe! Have you ever heard of Arbonne protein powder? It's vegan (not made from soy either) and super healthy. Great way to get some extra protein in. Let me know if you want to try a sample and I can send you one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sydni! I'm glad you found it and might try some things out. To be honest I wasn't sure if anyone was reading! Let me know what you think of the chocolate smoothie. I just made it again today.
      I haven't heard of Arbonne protein powder, but I'd love to try some out. A good [rotein powder is next thing on my list to find. Do you buy it on-line or at a store.
      Good to hear from you and let me know if you try any recipes out and what you think:)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!