Saturday, October 19, 2013

Brussels Sprout and Tempeh Noodles

Now that meat isn't an option and I'm forced to eat more vegetables, I'm realizing just how many vegetables I've never tried before, let alone given a second glance at the grocery store. So I've decided that I want to cook with a new vegetable each week. I found a recipe for a stir-fry using Brussels sprouts and tempeh and figured I'd give it a try. I've never eaten Brussels sprouts before or tempeh, so this was a pretty bold undertaking. 

To be honest, I wasn't sure how I felt about this recipe at first, but after making a few changes and adding some extra sauteed and steamed veggies, It grew on me and I found myself loving it. It's a recipe that I'll definitely make again and continue to experiment with. 

This recipe is so easy too. It's ready in about a half hour and you can use whatever noodles or veggies you have in your house. But I definitely suggest trying out this version with Brussels sprouts and tempeh. If you give it a go, let me know what you think!


Brussels Sprout and Tempeh Noodles
(Makes 6 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1 clove garlic
· 3 tablespoons soy sauce
· 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
· 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
· 1 teaspoon sriracha
· 8 ounces tempeh, cut into bite size chunks
· 1.5—2 teaspoons sesame oil*
· 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise and sliced thinly
· 8 ounces soba noodles (or brown rice noodles),
   cooked according to the package directions
· 4 whole carrots, cut on the diagonal and steamed
· 8 ounce mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
· Sriracha and sliced green onion to taste


*You can add more oil if you desire, or use PAM or water to keep the sprouts from sticking to the pan.

Directions:
1. In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweetener, and sriracha.
2. Add the cubed pieces of tempeh to the marinade and stir until the tempeh has been covered with the sauce. Place in the fridge as you prepare the Brussels sprouts. (Don’t let the marinate longer than a half hour or they will soak up all the sauce.)
3. Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and let them cook about five minutes until they soften and begin to brown.
4. Add in the tempeh (keep the marinade separate for later) to the Brussels sprouts and cook about three more minutes until the tempeh is heated through.
5. Remove from the heat and add in the noodles, steamed carrots and sautéed mushrooms and pour over the remaining sauce. Mix well so that the sauce flavors all the veggies and noodles.
6. Individually add more sriracha sauce to taste and top with green onion.

Notes: Adapted from here.


How have I never cooked with these beauts before?!




Cube your tempeh and let it marinade in the fridge while you prepare the other veggies.


Cut each Brussels sprout vertically before thinly slicing.





Wait until the tempeh is heated through to add the noodles, extra veggies and marinade.



Eat Consciously,
     Faith


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!