Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cranberry Orange Oatmeal

Welp. I'm still on an oatmeal kick. This recipe was inspired by my mom's cranberry orange muffins (which I plan on sharing with you all soon) that she used to make when I was in high school. I loved those muffins. I've been looking for fresh cranberries at the grocery store for a while now and yesterday I found them! If you've never had a fresh cranberry before, beware. They are pretty tart on their own, but when baked in bread or cooked with sweetener they are delicious. If fresh cranberries aren't in season you can always use dried cranberries to make this oatmeal. They'll both work great. Enjoy!


Cranberry Orange Oatmeal
(Makes 1 serving)


 Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup orange juice
· 1/2 cup water
· 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oatmeal
· 1/4 cup fresh cranberries (or dried)
· 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or agave nectar
· 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed (optional)
· 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped (optional)

Directions:

1. Combine the orange juice and water in a medium sized sauce pan and heat almost to a boil. Watch it closely because the orange juice will start  to foam and overflow if you let it boil too long.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in the oatmeal, cranberries, sweetener and flaxseed. Whisk until well combined.
3. Let the oatmeal cook until most of the liquid is absorbed
4. Pour into a bowl and top with walnuts!



    


Nutrition: Cals: 301; Fat: 4.7g; Carbs: 62g; Fiber: 6.6g; Sugars: 30.4; Protein: 7.2g

Eat Consciously,

     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!