Friday, October 18, 2013

Homemade Vegan Pumpkin Pie

It's hard to remember that it's actually fall when you live in Florida. Thank goodness I've been traveling up North recently so I can be reminded of that beautiful fact. Cold weather = fall. And it's definitely getting cold up North. My husband and I were just in Chicago and I wore my winter coat everyday. I almost didn't bring it! That would have been bad. But, while cold weather and I don't always get along, I've really enjoyed all of our travels this fall. And obviously the fall weather has been giving me lots of creative juices in the kitchen. Seriously though. Pumpkin has been making its way into everything I make lately--from breakfast to dessert--like this pie!

This pie is not my own creation by any means. But it's going to become a fall staple and I'll definitely be making it for my family over Thanksgiving. (Check out those edges. The pie kind of forms its own crust!)


Homemade Vegan Pumpkin Pie
(Makes 8 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
· 2 flax eggs*
· 1 tablespoon cornstarch
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 2 cups pureed pumpkin
· 1/2 cups rice flour**
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 3/4 cups sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1/2 teaspoon salt

* Combine two tablespoons of ground flaxseed  with six tablespoons of water. Whisk vigorously and let sit for five minutes until it becomes yolky in texture.
**Apparently rice flour is the best .

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a deep dish 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
2. If you have time, let your pumpkin puree drain over cheesecloth so extra liquid can be removed. I ended up wrapping cheesecloth around my pumpkin and squeezing it to remove some of the liquid.
3. Put the milk, flax egg, cornstarch and vanilla into a blender and blend until well incorporated.
4. Add in the pureed pumpkin and blend again until combined.
5. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend on high, scraping down the sides of the blender if needed, for about two minutes.
6. Pour the batter into your prepared pie dish and smooth the batter out.
7. Bake for 60+ minutes, depending on your oven, until the top and edges are brown, but not burnt. Sticking a toothpick in the center won't let you know if it's done because this is a more "custardy" pie.*
8. Remove from the oven and let cool. Place in the refrigerator to chill until serving!

*I cooked mine for 60 minutes and I think it should have gone 5-10 minutes longer. It still tasted amazing, but was a little gooey in the center.
 Notes: Adapted from fatfreevegan.








Nutrition: Cals: 153; Fat: 1g; Carbs: 34g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 3g

Eat Consciously,
     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!