Wednesday, July 30, 2014

WIAW: The First Week in Our New Apartment

I love New York! We haven't even been here a week, but so far Brett and I are having a great time exploring different parts of the city and getting settled into our new apartment, which we couldn't be happier with. It's located right on the edge of Jackson Heights, a subway stop is literally right across the street, and there's tons of natural lighting from the wall to wall windows in our family room. Also, there is the best international food mart right across the street that has a wide variety of produce, cheap sushi and so many ingredients I've never seen or used before. The inspiration is endless and I've been cooking/baking up a storm since we moved in.  So today I'll share with you a day of eats and some of the different things I've been creating in my new kitchen!

Breakfast has mainly been different types of oatmeal. I've cooked rolled oats on the stove and made a few batches of muesli using steal cut oats. Brett is even starting to eat more oatmeal in an effort to cut back on sugar! We did have one special breakfast when I made Vegan Nutella Stuffed French Toast. I used homemade nutella and also prepared a strawberry syrup to top everything off. I'll share the recipe soon because it was amazing!

Oatmeal cooked with chia seeds and topped with banana, peanut butter and sunflower seeds.
Photo from my Instagram.

Lunches have been leftovers from the first meal I made when we got into town. I made a big batch of Asian Coleslaw Salad and it's been lasting us for days. We've been wrapping it up in spring rolls too which gives us some variety. 

Asian Coleslaw Salad with Edamame and Peanut Dressing
(Recipe coming soon!)

Snacks have been veggies and hummus (Sriracha Hummus!) and lots of different fruits. When we were in China we found our new favorite way to "eat" watermelon: blended! It's so refreshing and one of Brett's new favorite drinks.

Sriracha Hummus

Fresh Watermelon Juice!

Dinners have been quite varied. Last night we actually did a progressive dinner with 23 of our new friends and I was in charge of the main course! I made Massaman Curry over brown rice and Chapati (traditional Indian flatbread). Everyone said it was delicious, so I'd call that a success!

Massaman Curry with Sweet Potatoes

Chapati (You can find the recipe here!)

Another dinner we've been eating a lot of is Ratatouille topped with Vegan Parmesan Cheese. I'll be sharing the recipe tomorrow. It turned out amazing and was so easy to make!


Do you enjoy cooking or is it a chore?

What is your typical go-to breakfast?

That's all for now! I hope everyone is having a great week so far. If you need some inspiration for meals this week, check out Jenn's blog Peas and Crayons.


Eat Consciously,

Faith


9 comments:

  1. Is this for real?! Everything looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Ruthie! Thanks! You have my sister's name and I just checked out your blog and it's great. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. You are so inspiring! So much good food. I can't even pick a favorite! I'm so excited for the french toast recipe and the curry looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigha! Hopefully I'll have the french toast recipe up soon...but I still gotta post my homemade nutella recipe. Gosh, so much baking happening here.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy cooking for the most part. It's only a chore when no one else wants to help entertain a huge crowd. Let it be noted...the addition of wine makes cooking a lot more fun! =) My go-to breakfast right now is a cold oatmeal deal. I love cold breakfasts. I roughly measure meals that aren't baked (I don't weigh anything, but I use a 1/2 cup scoop), so the recipe for my breakfast is: 1/2 cup(or a little more) of quick oats, 1 big scoop of TJs vanilla soy protein powder, a few spoons of stevia (to taste), and some water to mix it all. I refrigerate it overnight, then top it off with a container of 0% plain Greek yogurt when I take it to work. And maybe another sprinkle of stevia on top. It's vanilla looking, but it's packed with protein and fiber. And in the summer? Great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Help is definitely a must when lots of people are involved! I love cold oatmeal too. Thanks for the recipe! It's so nice to wake up and have breakfast all ready too:)

      Delete
  4. Wow, everything looks amazing! I can't wait to see your recipe for the Asian coleslaw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydney! I'll be posting it later tonight. If you try it let me know what you think:)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!