Thursday, July 31, 2014

Simple Ratatouille

It's hard to believe we haven't even been in our new apartment for a week! Just today a week ago Brett and I were driving up from Florida and stayed the night at my parents house. It was such a blessing to get part of a day with them before jumping into life in New York City. We packed a lot into that short day too. We napped, loaded up more furniture into our Uhaul and had a mini birthday celebration for my niece and sister-in-law at my brother's house. Gosh, I love my family!

My parents were so generous to us too. They too are preparing to move so they gave Brett and me a futon, coffee table, side table and a kitchen aid mixer! They also sent us out the door with beautiful squash and zucchini from their garden. 

Ever since watching the movie Ratatouille I've wanted to try making ratatouille. It always intimidated me though. So many colors and layers and I figured if it's made up of mostly vegetables, there has to be some intense process to make it taste so good. Wrong.

Ratatouille isn't hard at all and it's so fun to wow people with how pretty it looks when you pull it out of the oven. Since my parents gave us squash and zucchini before we left--and since I already had a jar of tomato paste, olive oil and homemade vegan parmesan in my kitchen--all I had to pick up at the store was an onion, eggplant, red pepper and garlic. Then I just had to thinly slice the veggies, layer them over some tomato paste and seasoning, and drizzle olive oil on top. Done and Done. 


Ratatouille
(Serves 4)

Ingredients:
  • 1 can tomato past (6 oz.)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cups water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or two pinches dried thyme)
  • Optional: Vegan Parmesan Cheese for garnish

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Prepare your vegetables by thinly slicing them in circular disks
  3. Spread the tomato past on the bottom of a 10x10-inch baking dish, or a dish similar in size.
  4. Sprinkle on the onion, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Add the water and stir well to combine.
  5. Arrange alternating slices of the vegetables in the pan by starting on the outside and working your way towards the center until you fill the entire dish. 
  6. Drizzle the top with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with thyme and more salt and pepper.
  7. Cover the vegetables by cutting out a piece of parchment paper to fit inside the baking dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes until all your vegetables are tender.
  8. Garnish with Vegan Parmesan Cheese and serve warm!


 Notes: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple days.


Sorry for the poor lighting in these pictures!





Eat Consciously,

Faith


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!