Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What I Ate...in NYC!

Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to be writing this post from America! These past two months have been quite the whirlwind. Brett and I were in China for five weeks and then flew straight into NYC to look for our new apartment. We found an amazing place in Queens in only four hours of looking and we couldn't be more ready to stop living out of suitcases. If you live in New York City, leave me a comment! I'd love to know who else is living in the City.

The self-proclaimed "Queen of Queens!"

Brett's parents met us in New York and we had an entire week to explore different parts of the city and try out amazing food. With all the different kinds of food we ate in New York and with all the amazing Chinese food we ate in China, I've gotten some amazing inspiration for different dishes and baked goods I want to try and create. I can't wait until Friday when we'll be fully moved into our new place and I can be back in the kitchen again. 

Today I'm going to share some of the amazing food I got to eat last week during our time in the big apple with Brett's parents. They spoiled us rotten and we tried out so many different cuisines! If you live in NYC, I hope this post will introduce you to some new places to eat that you've never heard of before. I included links to some of the restaurant's websites, so be sure to check them out!

Tibetan Vegetable Momos from Phayul Restaurant in Jackson Heights.

$3 Juice with Carrots, Spinach, Apple and Celery from a fruit stand in Queens.

The Garden Veggie Sandwich with Parsley Hummus from Siggy's Good Food in Brooklyn. 

If you live in New York City and have yet to go to Smorgasburg, you need to go! It's on pier 5 right by the Brooklyn Bridge and there are tons of venders there selling all kinds of amazing food on Sundays. And for you fellow vegans and vegetarians, they have tons of plant-based options. I was in heaven.



The Calexico from Chickpea and Olive at Smorgasburg.
A beet slider with avocado, picked red onion and jalapeños, daiya cheddar cheese and chipotle aioli!

Ample Hills Creamery on Pier 5 in Brooklyn.

One of the best things about Ample Hills Creamery is that they have pretzel cones. Pretzel cones people! The combination of the salty cone and the rich, sweet ice cream was amazing. I think I'll start adding pretzel to my ice cream more often!

Coconut Fudge Vegan Ice Cream.

The falafel wrap from Hummus Kitchen off 9th Ave between 51st and 52nd.


Focaccia Bread with Marinara Sauce, Mushrooms and Basil from Full Moon Pizza in the Bronx.

And of course there is always Whole Foods for lots of quick, grab-and-go options. I got these spring rolls and the brownie right before we went and saw the Broadway show Bullets on Broadway.


Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce from Whole Foods.


Vegan Peanut Butter Swirl Brownie from Whole Foods.

That's all the food from New York that I have to show you right now. Starting Friday I'll be back in the kitchen, hopefully whipping up some delicious, new recipes to share with you!

Brett and I on our last flight rocking some $8 Beats from China.



To see what other bloggers are eating and to get some new meal ideas, head over to Jenn's blog, Peas and Crayons!

If you live in New York City, which part do you live in? What are some of your favorite restaurants in the city?

Where have you traveled overseas?



Eat Consciously,

Faith







6 comments:

  1. That all looks so good! I'm visiting nyc for the first time tho september-you've given me a lot if ideas of where to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And that's so exciting. You'll love the city:)

      Delete
  2. I'm in NYC and those food pics are inspiring me to take a train ride to eat out - I cook a lot at home. All my WIAW eats this week are home-cooked meals. Check them out at http://runwright.net/2014/07/23/wiaw-can-you-eat-the-rainbow-in-a-day/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun trying out new places, but I love eating at home and can't wait to be moved into our apartment so I can start cooking:) Just checked out your blog! That's awesome you're training for a marathon. My husband and I are going to start training soon for one too! Good luck:)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Queens, the forgotten borough. Hahaha. I live in Maspeth, which is just a few minutes outside of Jackson Heights. Smorgasburg is one of my favorite places to hit up when the weather is nice. They're also set up in Williamsburg on Saturday and if you haven't been to Williamsburg yet I highly recommend it because there is a restaurant on every corner and you really can't go wrong with any of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia! Yeah, we heard that there is the Smorgasburg in Williamsburg and we're excited to check it out. I gotta say thought, it's a good think Brooklyn is a little bit of a hike for us so we don't go all the time!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!