Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Almond and Cashew Cherry Yogurt (Vegan!)


When I first went vegan I thought yogurt was going to be the hardest thing to give up. I had grown to love plain greek yogurt with fruit and granola for breakfast, so the thought of giving it up made me sad. While it was hard to stop eating it the first week, I soon found different things to eat for breakfast that made up for it.

The longer I've been vegan the more I've begun experimenting with harder recipes. A while back I finally started researching homemade yogurt. I would occasionally buy non-dairy yogurt at the grocery store, but it's so expensive that I wanted to learn how to make my own. And I did! You can check out the recipe here!

While my homemade yogurt became a staple in my house, I still wanted to find a yogurt substitute that didn't take hours of incubating to make. Not long after, I came across Deliciously Ella's Cashew and Almond yogurt and it sounded delicious to me...and unfortunately expensive. I decided to make a few substitutes and try it out and, voila! This delicious, fruity yogurt was the result! It takes a fraction of the time to make, is thicker, and has more consistent results.

Yum!


Almond and Cashew Cherry Yogurt
(Make about 4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 1/4 cup dates
  • 1/2 cup frozen cherries (or any frozen fruit)
  • 1 1/2 cups water, divided
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or other thickener)
Directions:
  1. Soak the almonds, cashews and dates in a bowl for about 4 hours.
  2. Drain the nuts and dates and place them, along with the frozen berries and 1 cup of water, into a blender. Blend until smooth.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup water and teaspoon of cornstarch until dissolved. Pour it into the blender and blend with the other ingredients until combined.
  4. Pour the contents of the blender into a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat. Let the mixture heat slowly while whisking often until the "yogurt" thickens. You can know when it's ready when your whisk leaves marks in the yogurt.
  5. Pour the yogurt into a jug and place in the refrigerator to cool.
  6. Serve with fruit and granola for a delicious breakfast!




Eat Consciously,

Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!