Monday, June 16, 2014

Avocado Hummus: A Perfect Spread for Sandwiches!


I made a big mistake. I went a few months without eating an avocado.

I know, I know. It's horrible.

But I must say that going so long without that plant-based, buttery goodness made it taste that much better when I did finally have it again. 

I'm not entirely sure why I went so long without buying them. It could have been my frugal nature or the fact that I'm usually traveling and rarely home. Thankfully my avocado-less streak ended when Brett and I were at my parents house during the first two weeks of May. We landed in Virginia around lunch time and were quite ready for a meal by the time we made it to my parents house. My Dad whipped out stuff for taco salads: lettuce, black beans, salsa, jalapeños and avocado. I quickly made Brett and myself some salads and as soon as I took a bite with a piece of avocado, it was like a choir started singing in my mouth. It was creamy and rich and so flavorful and I couldn't stop saying, "Mmmmmm!" Seriously, it was like buttah.


The rest of the week I put avocado on everything from salad to toast and ate it right of a spoon too. One of the best things I ate was a veggie sandwich where I included both hummus and avocado. It was such an amazing combination. I didn't want it to end. 

That combination got me to thinking, "Why don't I just combine the two myself?" So I did.

This hummus is great with veggies. It's a perfect spread for sandwiches. It also completes a "snack plate" for lunch if you eat it with some Power Seed Crackers or Whole Wheat Rosemary Wheat Thins!


Avocado Hummus
(Makes a big ol' bowl)

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas)
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 avocados
  • 4 tablespoons water

Directions:
  1. Using a food processor process the tahini and lemon juice for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process for 30 seconds more. By whipping the tahini and lemon juice, you'll be able to get a really creamy hummus.
  2. Add in the olive oil, garlic, cumin and salt and process for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and process 30 more seconds.
  3. Add in half the chickpeas and process for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add in the remaining chickpeas and process for another 1-2 minutes until as smooth as possible.
  4. Add in the avocados. Turn the processor on and slowly add in the water until you get a smooth consistency.
  5. Pour the hummus into a bowl and if desired, drizzle with some more olive oil before serving.

Notes: Process found and recipe adapted from here.

Start by whipping the tahini and lemon juice for 1 minute.

Whip everything some more after adding in the olive oil, garlic, cumin and salt.

Add in 1/2 the chickpeas and, you guessed it, whip some more!

Finish by whipping in the avocado and then slowly adding in the water while the processor runs
until you get a really smooth consistency.


Eat Consciously,

Faith

2 comments:

  1. This looks So Delish!. I've got to try it. Thanks Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb! Let me know if you try it and what you think:)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!