Monday, March 24, 2014

Homemade Whole Wheat Rosemary Wheat Thins! They taste like the real deal.


Well, I'm proud to stay that I'm still on my "make-everything-I-can-at-home" streak and going strong. For those of you just now reading, about a week ago I decided that I wanted to try to make our basic staple foods at home (when I have the time, that is). I never would have even thought that you could make almond milk, yogurt, wheat bread, crackers or cheese at home about a year ago. But since going vegan almost a year ago a whole new world of cooking and baking has opened up to me and I've had to be more creative. 

Also, as Brett and I plan to move overseas in a couple years, I don't know what types of food we'll have access to so I figured now is the best time to get down the basics.

So far I've botched the following:

Whole Wheat Tortillas
Bear Bread

With that said, I've also successfully made the following:

Non-dairy Yogurt (Can you even believe it!! I'll share more soon.)
Wheat Thins


Oh. My. Goodness. Let's talk about these homemade wheat thins. I absolutely loved how these little squares of goodness turned out and they were surprisingly easy to make. The dough wasn't sticky and I was able to roll it out really thin for an amazingly delicious cracker that tasted like the real deal. I'm excited for my first batch to run out so that I can experiment with some different spices in the next batch. I'm thinking about even adding in some nutritional yeast to make a cheesy flavored cracker. 

Savory. Sweet. The possibilities are endless!

This is not my recipe by any means, but I really hope you try them out. There are only 7 ingredients, one of which is water. Get creative and share with me any new combinations you discover.


Homemade Wheat Thins
(Makes 100 crackers)

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, minced
  • 4 tablespoons non-dairy butter (I used earth balance)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Sea salt for topping

Directions:


  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and rosemary.
  2. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in the butter until there are now pieces larger than a pea.
  3. Pour in the water and stir until combined. It might seem dry at first, but use your hands to keep incorporating the ingredients until you get a ball of dough.
  4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  5. On a piece of parchment paper that has been lightly floured, roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time into a rectangle. Roll it as thin as possible! And then roll it even thinner!
  6. Use a long, sharp knife to cut the dough into squares or triangles. Make the crackers whatever size and shape you want. If you like perfect crackers, you will probably need to trim up the edges of your dough. Otherwise keep things rustic!
  7. Do step 6 with another 1/4 of the dough so that you have two sets of crackers ready to bake. Pull the parchment paper onto baking sheets. 
  8. Sprinkle the crackers with sea salt and slightly press the salt into the dough.
  9. Bake the crackers for 5-10 minutes until slightly browned. It's a long range of time because it all depends on how thin you roll your crackers. Mine usually take about 8 minutes. Be careful though because they can go from perfect to burnt in a short time.
  10. Repeat steps 6-9 for the rest of the dough. 
  11. Brake any crackers apart that are stuck together and let them cool on a separate plate. 
  12. Store them in an air tight container. 
  13. Enjoy!
Notes: Adapted from Kitchen Stewardship 



Eat Consciously,

Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!