Friday, May 30, 2014

Power Seed Crackers


Ever since I decided that I wanted to try making more of our staple food from home (such as bread, granola, almond milk, etc.), crackers have been one of my favorite foods to experiment making from scratch. Since I made Whole Wheat Rosemary Wheat Thins, I've realized that crackers aren't as hard to make as I had thought. I love being able to change the seasonings and it's also a perk that I know exactly what went into each little crunchy morsel. 

Whole Wheat Rosemary Wheat Thins

Lately I've seen a lot of recipes for crackers made only with seeds and water so I decided to try some out. I didn't want my crackers to be made up entirely of larger seeds like sunflower and pumpkin seeds, but wanted the base to be something with a finer texture. Ground flaxseed for the win!

The best thing about these crackers is that you don't have to roll out a stiff dough with a rolling pin, but instead get to use your hands to spread out the seed mixture. There is also no oil or butter in these and they are held together entirely with water!


Power Seed Crackers
(Makes about 50 crackers)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup pepitas 
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped (careful, it "jumps" everywhere!)
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the flax, chia, sunflower and pepita seeds.
  3. In a separate bowl whisk together the 1 cup of water and spices.
  4. Pour the spiced water mixture into the bowl with the seeds and use a spoon to stir until combined.
  5. Dump the seed mixture onto your baking sheet and use your hands to push down the mixture and spread it to be about 1/4-1/8 of an inch thick. My mixture spread all the way to the edges of my baking sheet.
  6. Score the dough with a knife into whatever shape you like.
  7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until dry and firm. (It depends on how thick/thin you made them)
  8. Break the crackers apart and let cool.









Eat Consciously,

Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!