Monday, May 26, 2014

Easy Fried Plantains


Right now my house slightly in chaos. Brett and I are packing up all of our belonging while trying to sell somethings in the process. We are also traveling to West Palm Beach for a week the day after we move out of our house. Then right after we get back from that West Palm we are going to China for five weeks! We have so many different trips we're trying to pack for in addition to moving that it's hard to keep things straight in my head. 

One thing that has made the packing process less painful is that I've been taking frequent breaks throughout the day to cook delicious food...like fried plantains! Seriously, yesterday when I was minutes away from finishing up the laundry, I stopped to fry some plantains. I just got hit with intense hunger so decided to run with it. Laundry can wait.

I've eaten fried plantains a lot when overseas and I've even bought plantains a few times in hopes that I'd do something with them, but never did. I was never sure when they were ripe or when I should bake them verses fry them. I saw a little recipe card at the grocery store the other day for Fried Plantains and decided to give it another go. The recipe said to look for black plantains when you are going to fry them. That means they are overly ripe and sweet, but still hold their shape. 


It only takes three ingredients to make this delicious snack: a plantain, coconut oil and sea salt. You can serves these as a side with dinner or eat them as a snack. The plantains themselves are sweet and then you get little hints of salty with the sea salt. Addicting I tell ya!


Fried Plantains
(Serves 1-2)

Ingredients:
  • 1 plantain, black 
  • 2 teaspoons coconut oil
  • sea salt (optional, but so good!)
Directions:
  1. Peel and slice your plantain on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices.
  2. Heat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat. 
  3. Fry the plantains on one side for about 4 minutes until browned. Flip them over and fry about 4 minutes more.
  4. Pour them onto a paper towel lined plate to soak up any excess oil and sprinkle with sea salt.






Eat Consciously,

Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!