Sunday, January 19, 2014

Vegan Coffee Cake and Girl Time


The thought of coffee cake makes me smile. Mainly because the only time I usually eat it is when I'm with a bunch of girls over brunch. Girls + 2nd Breakfast = Happy Faith.

This weekend I actually got to enjoy two brunches with two different groups of girls! Let's just say it was a great weekend. The first brunch was with three of my coworkers that I'm about to travel with overseas. We had to go "trip shopping" (as we call it) so I though we should fuel up before hitting the crazy isles and long lines at Target with some good food. I made this coffee cake and some sweet potato hash browns and served them alongside a fruit salad and yogurt and granola. It turned out pretty tasty and gave us plenty of energy to tackle our shopping lists.


The second brunch I had was for my friends birthday. About 8 of us girls got together to celebrate by eating delicious food, telling stories and watching her open some presents. One of my friends also recently had a baby so of course we were getting our fill of her daughter's sweet baby cheeks. 


With Brett being out of town, it's been awesome to get my fill of girl time. I would definitely always rather him be home, but at least some quality time with my girl friends makes being apart not so bad. Now I just need to find a way to make time with my girl friends happen more often when he's home! Now that'd be glorious.



Vegan Coffee Cake
(Makes 8 Serving)


 Ingredients:

· 3/4 cup almond milk
· 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
· 1/3 cup natural cane sugar
· 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Crumb Topping
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
· 1/3 cup brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1/4 cup earth balance spread
  
Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9 in pie pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl mix the milk and vinegar together and set aside.
3. In another large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. After the milk and vinegar has sat for about 5 minutes, mix in the sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined and smooth.
6. Pour the batter into your prepared pie pan and set aside.
7. In another mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the crumb topping.
8. Add in the earth balance spread and use your hands to incorporate it with the dry ingredients until sandy crumbs form.
9. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake.
10. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
11. Cut into 8 wedges and enjoy!

Notes: Recipe adapted from Poppytalk.






Eat Consciously,
     Faith




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!