Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Should-Be Lazy Morning and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones


Home again!! At least for five days. Brett and I got home late last night after our flight from Nashville was delayed an hour. Our good friend Garret who was with us in Louisville and Nashville stayed the night at our place too. We were all looking forward to sleeping in and having a lazy morning so we went straight to bed as soon as we got home. The boys did great at sleeping in, but. I on the other hand woke up at 4:45. Story of my life. It's as if my body doesn't want me to get a good nights sleep when I'm in my own bed. 

By the time the boys woke up I had read for an hour, done a short ab workout, gone grocery shopping and was starting to make scones. I always love the rare occasions when Brett and I have someone stay over at our house. I love being able to cook for people and make them feel at home!


I know the boys never turn down food so I figured I'd make a hearty breakfast for us (well, a second breakfast for me). I'm excited to say that this scone recipe is my own! I love how my confidence in baking and cooking is beginning to increase since I've gotten married and started this blog. I feel like I've learned a lot of basic recipes so now I'm able to experiment a little. I love it!


While I know we've left "pumpkin season", I was really craving some pumpkin chocolate chip scones and I'm happy to announce that my first scone recipe turned out pretty darn good. These scones are dense and moist and oh, so chocolaty. The best part really is the large chocolate chips that I used from Trader Joe's. We don't have a Trader Joe's near our house yet, but Brett let me stock up at one on our way home from Christmas vacation in Destin, Florida. 


Another beautiful thing about these scones is that you probably have all the ingredients in your house and you can make the entire recipe in one bowl...well except for a small liquid measuring cup:) I hope you try these out! The boys gave a giant stamp of approval. Score!


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
(Makes 8 Scones)


 Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
· 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 cup whole wheat flour
· 1 cup quick oats
· 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar 
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
· 5 tablespoons earth balance
· 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
· 1/2 cup chocolate chips (the bigger the better!)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and let it sit for a few minutes. If it begins to curdle that’s good! (you can also omit the apple cider vinegar if need be.)
3. Add the vanilla extract to the milk and vinegar after it has sat for a few minutes.
4. In a large  bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
5. Add the earth balance and pumpkin puree into the dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter to cut in the “butter” and pumpkin until course, pea-like pebbles form. Don’t over mix! (If you don’t have a pastry cutter, just use two knives to cut in the wet ingredients.)
6. Pour in the milk and vanilla mixture and mix until just incorporated. Again, don’t over mix.
7. Fold in the chocolate chips.
8. Take the dough (it will probably be sticky) and place it on the parchment paper in the middle of the baking pan. Use your hands to pat it down until you get a circle that is about 1.5 inches high.
9. Cut the circle into 8 wedges, but don’t separate them.
10. Bake for 25-27 minutes until cooked through and golden.


Make sure you eat one warm right out of the oven while the chocolate is still warm and gooey. 
  

What's your favorite type of scone?

I need ideas for what to try next!

Eat Consciously,
     Faith




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!