Friday, September 6, 2013

Wheaty Waffles

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I would eat breakfast food three times a day if I could. No matter how early I have to wake up, I always make time to eat breakfast before i go anywhere. Usually I'll have oatmeal or cereal, but it's always nice to have something different. Unfortunately those "different" options, like pancakes and waffles, take a little longer to make. I decided to find a recipe for waffles that I like so i could make a bunch and then freeze them. They're so easy to just pop in a toaster in the morning and it allows me to have something a little special every once in a while without having to take extra time making them. The recipe I found was from thishomemadelife.com. I made a few changes in order for them to be Vegan and I really like how they turned out.



Wheaty Waffles
(Serves 6)

1 Flax egg* (1 Tablespoon flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons water)
6 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon natural cane sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 optional add-ins such as pecans, chocolate chips, etc.

*To made a flax egg, simply whisk the flaxseed and water together in a bowl and then let it sit for a few minutes. It will become a "yoke-y" consistency and will help bind all of the ingredients together

Heat up your waffle iron.
While it's heating, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt and add-ins together in a large bowl. Stir until combined.

Once your flax egg is ready, combine the "egg", applesauce, milk and vanilla together in a bowl. Next add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

Use a measuring cup and pour the batter onto your heated waffle iron and let the waffles cook until the steam has stopped and they're golden brown. Make sure you cook them long enough so they aren't soggy.

Serve them right away with some maple syrup and fruit or freeze them for later!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!