Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Acorn Squash "Alfredo" Sauce with Penne Pasta

This weekend one of my husband's friends who was a groomsmen in our wedding came to visit. It was the first time we've ever had anyone from out of town stay over in our little apartment and it was a blast. We took him to see downtown Orlando and spent two days at Cocoa Beach using a free night stay at the Ron Jon Resort that Brett and I scored for for sitting through a 90 minute tour a few weeks ago. What a relaxing weekend.

But I gotta say that I always get nervous cooking new vegan meals for guests, because I still feel like I'm still in the experimental, "what-the-heck-am-I-doing" phase of vegan cooking. Saturday night we ended up eating here at the house which meant I had to try out a new recipe. And praises, this Acorn "Alfredo" Pasta turned out great! I'm so thankful for people who have already created amazing recipes that I can start out with until I can create my own vegan concoctions.

Acorn Squash "Alfredo" Sauce with Penne Pasta
(Serves 7)

Adapted from lunchboxbrunch.com

1 box whole wheat penne pasta (13.25 oz)
1 medium acorn squash
1 cup fresh, chopped parsley
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plain, plant based milk)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons total of basil, oregano and thyme (I used two teaspoons of each)
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Cut your acorn squash in half horizontally, scoop out the seeds,


and place the halves cut sides down into a baking dish filled with one inch of water. Roast the squash in the oven for about 60-75 minutes.


When your squash has only about 10 minutes to go, boil water in a large sauce pan and start cooking your pasta. Also saute your mushrooms in a skillet for about 5 minutes until soft. Set the mushrooms aside.

Once your squash is roasted, scoop out all of the soft flesh and place it in a food processor with the remaining ingredients except the mushrooms. Blend until you get a smooth sauce and there aren't any large parsley flakes.

Strain your pasta and then place it back in the sauce pan with the acorn squash puree and mushrooms. Mix well and serve!

(Nutrition Facts: Cals: 320; Fat: 4 g; Carbs: 58 g; Fiber: 11 g; Sugar 4.5 g; Protein: 15 g)

Eat Consciously,

     Faith



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!