Thursday, September 5, 2013

Simple Mac and Cheese

I've been hesitant to take the plunge and cook something with nutritional yeast. It's been in my cupboard for a while though and last night I finally decided to try out some mac 'n cheese. All the pictures I'd seen online for vegan mac and cheese looked great and it seems like a good number of people like the stuff. Why wouldn't I? I chose a recipe from "Oh She Glows" that was super quick and easy and I was really pleased with the result!

Simple Mac and Cheese
(Makes 8, 1 cup servings)

Adapted from Oh She Glows.

Ingredients:

1 box (13.25 oz or so) whole wheat pasta (I used elbow pasta)
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 Tablespoon tahini
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
Ground Pepper to taste.

Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain and set aside.

While the pasta is cooking, put all of the remaining ingredients (except the peas and pepper) into a blender and blend until smooth.

Place the drained pasta and the "cheese" sauce back in a sauce pan on medium-low heat and allow the sauce to thicken. It will take about five minutes. Add the peas towards the end of the thickening process. Add pepper to taste, stir and serve! (And don't let the add smell from the nutritional yeast scare you. It tastes great!)




Hope you like it!


Nutrition for 1 cup: Calories: 246 / Fat: 2.5 grams / Carbs: 45 grams / Fiber 8.5 grams / Protein 13 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!