Monday, September 30, 2013

Chocolate Chia Oatmeal

I don't know of three words that make me more happy when grouped together: healthy, chocolate, and oatmeal. What an amazing combination. Even more so, what an amazing breakfast...or lunch...or dinner.

I have always loved oatmeal and eat it most mornings for breakfast. Oatmeal fills me up the best unlike cereal or smoothies which leave me feeling hungry a couple hours later. I recently came across Lauren Smith's blog, The Oatmeal Artist, and was excited to find all the different variations of oats she has posted.

My husband Brett and I were just in Chicago. It was an awesome trip, but the cold weather affected my floridian bones and I got a cold. I've been sitting on the couch all day, eating "sick people" food and remembered that I wanted to try out some chocolate oatmeal. It came out great! It was rich, sweet and filling and truly healthy because it's made with old fashioned oats, chia seeds and cocoa powder.

I recently have become aware of how awesome cocoa powder is. It's rich in antioxidants, low in calories and fat unlike chocolate, and has two grams of fiber per tablespoon! This oatmeal will definitely be added to my breakfast staples.



Chocolate Chia Oatmeal
(Makes 1  serving)


 Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
· 1 cup water (or milk of choice)
· 1/2  ripe banana, thinly sliced
· 1 tablespoon chia seeds
· 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
· Splash of vanilla extract
· Pinch of sea salt
· Optional toppings: chopped walnuts, almonds, pecans or chocolate chips

  Directions:

1. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Pour in the oatmeal, sliced banana and chia seeds and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the oats cook for 3 minutes or so, whisking vigorously at first to break up the banana slices.
3. Once the oats have thickened, add in the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well and let cook a minute more, occasionally whisking the oats so that they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
4. Top with optional toppings and enjoy your dessert for breakfast!


Notes: adapted from here.


To start, cook the oats, chia seed and sliced banana in 1 cup of water.


Whisk well so that the banana slices break up and sweeten all the oats.



Add in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt towards the end and mix well.


Enjoy your healthy, chocolaty breakfast!



Nutrition (1/2 banana and no toppings): Cals: 322 cals; Fat: 11 g; Carbs: 55.5 g; Fiber: 15 g; Sugar; 12 g; Protein: 11 g


Eat Consciously,

     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!