Thursday, December 19, 2013

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies


I'm writing this as I rest on the couch after a 10-mile run. I was able to get off work early and took advantage of the beautiful, Florida winter afternoon. It was hotter than I though it would be, but there was a nice breeze and barely a cloud in the sky. Overall it was a good run. I always feel like I'm putzin' (as in 10-minute miles) but my average pace was 8:45. I'll take it for a long run. I've never been a fast runner, but I'm hoping to add in some fartleks to my weekly schedule. We'll see if I experience any improvement!

Tomorrow Brett and I leave for Destin, Florida to celebrate Christmas with his family. We are both so excited to be on Christmas break and to spend some quality time with everyone. It's the first time I will be away from my family over Christmas, so that's new, but I'm looking forward to our road trip to Destin and a (hopefully) sunny, Florida Christmas. 

Since we aren't going up North for Christmas I've had to put in extra work to get in the Christmas spirit. We got a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree, some new stockings and I let our wrapped presents take over the top of one of our book cases. It's my little Christmas corner that I often find myself gravitating to whenever I'm home. I always have our Frosty Yankee Candle lit when I'm home too and the flickering light makes me feel like I'm by a fireplace all bundled up....when in reality I'm sitting in my shorts on the couch. Even Brett, who says he's not very "Christmasy" was kind enough to watch Home Alone with me last night. Such a classic.



Along with all the Christmas decorations, wintertime always makes me want to bake even more than I already do. I wanted to bring some baked goods for the family to enjoy while in Destin so I knew I couldn't try out any new, super healthy recipes. While I may love bland, crunchy, super-duper-healthy things,  not everyone else does. So I decided to play it safe and "veganize" a cookie recipe that I've made before. This recipe is actual from my friend Jill who recently moved to Colorado. It was fun to reminisce on good times with her while making these! And it was a lot easier to substitute the dairy products than I thought. I just used earth balance instead of butter and a flax egg instead of a real egg. As always, Brett the taste-tester approved. Hopefully the family will too!


Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
(Makes 24 Cookies)


 Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
· 1/2 cup flour
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2 cup earth balance
· 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
· 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
· 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water (flax egg)
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
· 3/4 cup semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate chips


*To make the flax egg, whisk the ground flaxseed and water together and let sit for 5 minutes

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, from oats to baking soda.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter and both sugars together with a hand mixer or standing mixer.
4. Beat in the flax egg and vanilla.
5. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until everything is incorporated.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Drop 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the baking sheets.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

  


Merry Christmas!

Eat Consciously,
     Faith




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!