Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chickpea Cashew Curry

Curry is always my go-to meal when I need something easy and fast. I used to be intimidated by curries, but there are so many easy recipes that don't require too many ingredients. I've been wanting to try this cashew curry recipe and finally got around to it Monday night. I had the main ingredients already in my pantry and only needed to stop at the store for a few produce items. 

I loved how this curry turned out, although I have to say it is very different than the curries I usually have because it calls for lime juice and cilantro. While the lime juice and cilantro definitely change the taste, it was a delicious new flavor and the cashews blended with the coconut milk and spices made the curry oh-so-creamy. I've been wanting to try a recipe that uses blended cashews and after this one, I'm hooked. I think I'll try a "mac-n-cheese" dish with blended cashews next. 

I'll make this dish again for sure, but I think next time I may add more garam masala and curry powder and leave out or add less lime juice and cilantro to keep the flavor more authentic. Give it a try and let me know what you think!


Chickpea Cashew Curry
(Makes 4 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1 small onion, finely minced
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
· 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
· 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 1 tablespoon garam masala, divided
· 1/2 cup cashews
· 1 can coconut milk (14-ounces)
· 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (28-ounces)
· 3 ounces spinach, roughly chopped
· Kosher salt to taste
· Juice from 1 lime or to taste (optional)
· 1/4 cup  chopped cilantro or to taste, divided (optional)


Directions:

1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and sautee (using pam or water) the onion, garlic, ginger and chili until onion is soft and starting to brown, about 7 minutes.
2. Add the cayenne, 1/2 tablespoon of garam masala and cashews and stir until combined and fragrant.
3. Add the coconut milk and remove the saucepan from the heat. Use a spatula to scrap the bottom of the saucepan to remove any brown bits.
4. Carefully pour the coconut milk and cashew mixture into a blender and blend until smooth, starting at the lowest setting and finishing on high. Blend for about 30 seconds.
5. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and put the heat on medium-low. Add the chickpeas, spinach, and salt. Add the lime juice and half of the cilantro if using. Cook until the spinach has wilted and the curry is heated through.
6. Serve over brown rice or with bread and top with remaining cilantro!

 Notes: I got this recipe from here.


Eat Consciously,
     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!