Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sweet and Salty Protein Trail Mix

I'm currently in New York City and it's bliss! Brett and I are here to scope out locations for where we could possibly live when we move here in July. Since we got here on Friday it has been beautiful and warm and we've loved exploring the city. It's still surreal to me that I'm going to live here. 

When we arrived on Friday we went straight to Flushing and got some amazing Chinese food with a friend. I got a vegan dish with thick, chewy noodles, seitan, and veggies. It was delicious and a great way to kick off our trip. Yesterday we spent most of our time in Manhattan and today we walked all around Union Square. There is so much life in the city and you never run out of things to look at and do.

I knew coming into this week that we'd be walking a ton so I decided to prep some snacks to take with me. Food can be pretty expensive as you all know, so I figured I could save us some money by planning ahead. This isn't really a recipe that I'm sharing with you, but more of a concoction that popped into my head. And it's delicious.

First I roasted some chickpeas coated in agave nectar and sprinkled with cinnamon. I poured 1 tablespoon of agave nectar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon over 1 cup of cooked chickpeas and roasted them in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Every ten minutes or so I would use a spoon to move the chickpeas around so that they wouldn't burn.




These little nuggets are subtly sweet and crunchy once they cool.


I then used those roasted chickpeas to make this amazing Sweet and Salty Protein Trail Mix. Deliciousness.


Sweet and Salty Protein Trail Mix
(Makes 5 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1/4 cup cashews
· 1/4 cup almonds
· 1/4 cup craisins
· 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
· 1 cup agave roasted chickpeas

Directions:

1. Roast 1 cup of chickpeas using the above directions.
2. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Get your fill of protein!

Notes: To be honest, you can use whatever nuts or dried fruit you like or have available. I just happen to be biased to this combination.



My stash of goodies for the week:

 Eat Consciously,
     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!