Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Banana Bread Batter Smoothie

I'm up to 10 miles in my half-marathon training! Woo Hoo! About ten minutes after Brett and I got home from our night in Daytona yesterday I headed out for my run. It was a gorgeous, cool day and I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to run during an afternoon in Florida without feeling like I was going to die of heat exhaustion. Even though the first five miles felt really slow, I really enjoyed all 10 miles. Brett even showed up on his bike to cheer me on when I was down to two miles left. Loved that.

This is the third time I've trained for a half-marathon. Trained  being the key word. That's because the first two times I injured myself a few weeks out from the race. During my second training attempt I even ran 13 miles the week before the race. It's always my feet that decide they've had enough. I'm just praying that this time they'll hold up!

Now that my mileage is increasing, I've definitely noticed a major increase in my appetite. It seems like the past few days I've been eating a ton. I'm always wondering why I'm so hungry when I just ate a couple hours ago. Rungry. That's why. And it's awesome. There's nothing better than running a lot and eating a lot.

This smoothie recipe that I'm sharing today was my second breakfast this morning. I woke up starving around 3 A.M. (also partly due to day-light savings time) and had breakfast numero uno. I stayed up and read for a couple of hours before falling asleep on the couch until six. After getting ready for the day, my stomach was growling. Que smoothie time.

Seriously, drinking this smoothie made me feel like I was licking the leftover batter out of a bowl I just used to make some kind of delicious baked good. It's sweet and oaty and thick. Ugly? Yes. But delicious.
   

Banana Bread Batter Smoothie
(Makes 1 servings


 Ingredients:

· 1 frozen banana
· 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
· 1-2 dates, chopped (or 1 tablespoon date paste)
· 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional, but so worth it)

Directions:

1.  Place all of the ingredients, except the chia seeds, in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
2. Add the chia seeds and blend again for another 10 seconds.
3. That’s it. Drink up!

 Notes: Adapted from the Happy Herbivore.



Eat Consciously,
     Faith


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!