Monday, November 11, 2013

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes

I was in Virginia this past week and, while it was cold, I was able to enjoy Fall! Crisp air, colorful leaves, and winter coats. Brett and I stayed with my brother and sister-in-law and we're busy all week with work-related stuff. On Saturday we had the day off. Brett went on a long hike while I stayed home to get in my 11-mile run. 

It was only 30 degrees when I woke up, so I ate breakfast and waited a couple of hours for the sun to come up before hitting the road. It was beautiful out and I felt great at first, but after only 4 miles or so I started getting pretty tired. For the remainder of the run my energy never seemed to pick up either. Other than a few short sections, my body seemed to be running on fumes and about half way through my joints started to hurt too. I felt like I was running an 11-minute mile. 

While it sounds like a horrible run, I still enjoyed it and felt accomplished at the end. Apparently I didn't run an 11-minute mile either but averaged about a 9-minute mile. I'm hoping to do more stretching and cross training this week to give my body a break.


I scarfed down this bowl of oats, cinnamon, banana and peanut butter as soon as I got back. Yum.


Now onto another delicious breakfast. Brett and I got back to Florida late last night and this morning I realized we didn't have much for breakfast. I found a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip pancakes on-line, made some changes and "veganized" them and they turned out great! Brett left for work full and happy.



 Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes
(Makes 2 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1/2 whole wheat flour
· 1/4 cup oat flour
· 1/4 old-fashioned rolled oats
· 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1 flax egg*
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 3/4 cup almond milk
· 1 teaspoon lemon juice
· 2 tablespoons earth balance, melted
· 3 tablespoons semi-sweet ghirardelli chocolate chips

*To make a flax egg, whisk 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons water and let sit for about five minutes

Directions:

1. Start by making your flax egg and set it aside.
2. Next make the “buttermilk” by putting 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in a cup measure and then adding 3/4 cup almond milk. Let the mixture sit for about five minutes.
3. In a bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients from the whole wheat flour to the nutmeg.
4. In a smaller bowl, mix together the flax egg, vanilla, “buttermilk” and melted butter.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until well combined.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Do your pancake-making thing and cook these pancakes on a greased skillet heated to medium heat.
8. This batter should make four hearty pancakes serving two!

Notes: Adapted from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts.





Eat Consciously,
     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!