Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cranberry Apple Muffins

A couple posts ago I wrote about my painful 11-miler that I ran while in Virginia. Well, unfortunately the pain hasn't left and has concentrated to my right Achilles tendon. When I walk I can feel it rippling (that's the best word I can think of to describe it). If I point and flex my toes the tendon seems to click back and forth. Hmmm. Can't be good. 

Because it hasn't been feeling great, I've been too afraid to run for fear that I'll make it worse. I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to run my half-marathon on Dec. 7th, but we'll have to see what happens with the Achilles. Since Saturday, in order to get in some cardio without putting too much strain on my ankle, I've been walking, swimming and...biking! It's been forever since I've taken my road bike out for a spin and it was so life-giving. I forgot how much I love biking, especially this time of year in Florida. 

While I'm worried that I won't be able to run the third half-marathon that I've tried for, I am thankful that I finally took my bike out of the house. I'm planning on doing a half-ironman in April, so I'd have to start training for the bike soon. Now I'm excited to increase my mileage. 


Like the hot pink shoes? It might be the last color I would choose on my own, but they were the only ones that were available when this model of Nike Frees came out. They've grown on me though.

Enough about injuries and biking. Let's move on to these muffins! My mom used to make these cranberry apple muffins for events where she had to bring a snack and I always hoped that she would make extra so us kids could eat some. When I started getting interested in baking and cooking I asked my mom one day if I could make them for her. It may have been my first time making muffins and I love it...and the results! I'm usually not much of a fruity, baked-goods girl, but these are delicious. 

I had forgotten about them until I saw fresh cranberries at the grocery store a while back. I then remembered that my mom had given me the recipe so I decided to experiment a little and swapped out some of the ingredients so that they'd be vegan. The kitchen smelled amazing as they were baking and I was instantly brought back to my younger years with my first bite. I'll definitely be making these again.


Cranberry Apple Muffins
(Makes 12 servings)


 Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
· 1/4 mashed banana plus 2 teaspoons liquid stevia OR 1 cup dry sugar
· 1 flax egg*
· 1 cup coarsely shredded apples
· 1 T. orange zest
· 1/4 cup orange juice
· 2 cups whole wheat flour
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
· 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
· Optional: 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

*To make a flax egg whisk 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside for five minutes

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the apple sauce, mashed banana and liquid stevia together.
3. Add in the flax egg, shredded apple, orange zest and juice.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, from the wheat flour to nutmeg.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
6. Add in the cranberries and nuts if using and stir until just combined.
7. Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes.
8. Breathe in that fresh cranberry smell and eat one warm!




 Eat Consciously,
     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!