Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Perfect Iced Coffee!


Coffee. What a wonderful thing. 

When I think of coffee so many good memories come to mind. I think of reading a good book or having a deep conversation with a friend at a coffee shop. I think of being overseas and getting to enjoy a Starbucks Via packet early in the morning before starting work.  I think of a Saturday morning with no plans and time to rest and relax.

Unfortunately, coffee also brings to mind a season over a year ago when my heart suddenly decided to react negatively to any type of caffeine. Heart palpitations that led to panic attacks were no fun. Thankfully I realized that caffeine was the cause and I no longer lay awake at night wondering why my heart is racing.

I'm so thankful that decaf coffee is actually a "thing" so that I can still enjoy a delicious cup a joe.

Speaking of which, this recipe for iced coffee is spot on. I've tried a few different ratios and this one takes the cake. In the past I've tried brewing a pot of coffee and chilling it in the fridge and it just never tasted rich enough. Then I got introduced to Americanos (espresso diluted with hot water) and now I'm hooked. Americanos have such bold flavor while still allowing you to drink more than a small shot of espresso. So why not try out the same theory with iced coffee?

Basically this recipe is for a coffee concentrate which you add cold water too. It's just like making an Americano, but cold.  If Americanos are your coffee drink of choice, you have to try this out!

Iced Coffee Concentrate
(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup coffee grounds (choose your favorite brand!)
  • 4 cups cold water

Directions:
  1. Pour the coffee grounds into a pitcher and then pour the 4 cups of cold water on top.
  2. Stir well and place in the fridge overnight.
  3. After the coffee has sat overnight, stir the mixture one more time and then pour through your coffee maker with a filter in place, or strain through layers of cheese cloth over a new container.
  4. Use equal parts coffee concentrate and water for the perfect cup of iced coffee (or adjust to your own strength preferences.)
  5. Enjoy!!


Mix 1 cup of coffee grounds with 4 cups of water. Stir and let sit overnight in the fridge. 


Strain through a coffee filter or cheese cloth. 

Use equal parts coffee concentrate and water to make the perfect cup of iced coffee!

Eat Consciously,

Faith





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!