Sunday, April 13, 2014

8 Ingredient Coconut Cranberry Scones! {Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free}


Does anyone else really miss cooking when you're traveling? Or is it just me? Yet again, Brett and I were gone this past week for a five-day work training and the whole week I kept thinking about cooking and baking. I always seemed to have a recipe swimming around in my head or a new flavor combination I wanted to try. It was killer!

The training was actually held where Brett works, which is only 25 minutes away from our house, but we still opted to stay on campus for the week. There were a lot of sessions after dinner and the days started early, so we figured it would be nice to not have to drive back and forth each day.  

Brett's office is right by a lake and it's actually where a KOA campground is located. We were blessed to be able to stay in "Deluxe Cabin #1" for the week which was right on the lake. We had a porch with a swing where we could enjoy the sunrise in the mornings and the cool breeze at night. One morning we even took two kayaks out to watch the sun rise on the water. The cabin itself was great too. The "master" bed was pretty small, so Brett ended up sleeping on the futon in the main room while I had the bed to myself. We like our space when we sleep.


Even though I wasn't able to experiment in the kitchen all week, I was blessed with some amazing vegan goodies. The hospitality team that cooked all of our meal for us was so sweet. One girl on the team is around my age and is vegan too, so she baked me special, vegan desserts! She made some amazing almond butter snicker doodle cookies, no-bake cookies and brownies. I definitely ate more sugar than I have in a while! Everything was delicious, which just added to my desire to experiment in the kitchen even more. 

The training finished up on Friday afternoon and I'll admit that by Friday evening I had already whipped up these Coconut Cranberry Scones as well as some Curry Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas for one of my new favorite salads. I had been thinking about making scones using coconut oil and coconut milk all week and I'm so happy with how these turned out. They're moist and flaky, easy to make and only require 8 ingredients. They're even refined sugar free!

Here's a list of some of the goodness that you'll find in these scones:

Coconut Oil
Ground Flaxseed
Craisins
Agave Nectar
Gluten-Free Flour


Coconut Cranberry Scones
(Serves 6-8)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Flour)
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup light coconut milk (from a can or carton)
  • 3-4 tablespoons agave nectar
  • 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • Optional: 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a bowl prepare your flax egg by whisking 1 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken.
  3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut in the coconut oil until there are no clumps larger than pea size. 
  5. Add the coconut milk and agave nectar to your flax egg and stir to combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
  6. Fold in the craisins.
  7. Place the dough in the middle of your baking sheet and use your hand to flatten it into a circle about 1 1/2 inches high. Cut the dough into 6-8 equal wedges, but keep the dough together in a circle.
  8. If using the coarse sugar, sprinkle 1 tablespoon on top of the wedges and gently press it into the dough so they don't rub off.
  9. Bake for 17-20 minutes until the scones are cooked through and the bottom is golden.
  10. Eat warm or store in an airtight container for a few days.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!