Monday, February 24, 2014

Juicy Chia Pudding (Two Ingredients!) and the Coziest Cabin Ever!

I think this past weekend was one of my favorite weekends that Brett and I have spent together since getting married. And with all the traveling we've done, that's saying a lot. (You can scroll to the bottom for this random chia pudding recipe or keep reading about our weekend.)


Even though I just got back from Africa on Sunday, Brett and I had to leave for Arkansas five days later for work. Brett being the thoughtful husband that he is knew that a restful weekend would be just what the doctor ordered after lots of travel and a month a part. So as a surprise Brett rented out a cute little cabin for us to relax in this weekend before we had to start work. It was the cutest, coziest cabin ever and it was the perfect way to spend some quality time together after being a part for a month.

Here are some pics of the cabin. There was a hot tub and fire pit outside and an electric fire place inside. They even had the fire all set up and all you had to do was light a match! S'mores were eaten for sure.





I loved everything about this little cabin!


Brett and I went on a hike together on Saturday and Monday and Brett did a 10-miler by himself on Sunday! My hip has randomly started hurting so I didn't join him on the 10-miler, but he had a blast challenging himself to get up and back before dark.

Here are some pictures of the views we saw from our hikes and also from the drive to our cabin. Even though everything was mostly dead from the cold weather, the sites were still stunning.




At the end of this hike there was a cave that we were able to explore. At the very back of the cave there was a large "room" with a waterfall inside.


The cabin we stayed in had a full kitchen too so we bought some groceries in town before heading out into the boonies for the weekend. At one point I wasn't "feeling" any of the food we had so I got creative and made some chia pudding with chia seeds I brought from home and juice. I'm not usually a big juice fan, but this hit the spot!


The key is 3 tablespoons of chia seeds to 1 cup of liquid. 

Combine the seeds and liquid and stir well. Stir again after a minute...and then again after another minute. Then wait about five minutes and stir again before letting the pudding sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. The pudding will thicken and then you can jazz it up with any toppings you want. We had bought some bananas and granola and it made for a good combo.

After a month in Africa with less than ideal nutrition and a bad stomach bug that lasted about a week, I've been adding chia seeds to everything to get my digestive tract back in working order.


You can obviously use any kind of liquid for your chia pudding. I usually use almond milk, so juice was a good change up.

What are some of your favorite ways to use chia seeds?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!