Monday, February 10, 2014

How to Use Buckwheat Groats (A Breakfast Recipe)

Ever heard of these? I hadn't until a few months ago. As you may know I'm an oatmeal lover and love having a big bowl of oats every morning. Really anything "grain-like" is my ideal breakfast so when I heard of buckwheat groats I figured I should see what they were all about.

I was happy to find that Buckwheat Groats are full of fiber and protein and low in fat and sugar. 1 serving of these bad boys (1/4 cup) has 5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. Hello nutrients! You can use Buckwheat Groats to replace rice or other grain dishes or you can even grind it into flour. Me, being the breakfast lover that I am, decided to try them out in overnight oatmeal.


An easy way to use Buckwheat Groats is by soaking them overnight in water so that they soften up, but are still a little crunchy. All you do is place 1/4 cup of Buckwheat Groats in a bowl, cover them with water and place the bowl in your fridge overnight or for 8 hours. 

In the morning, pour the groats into a strainer and rinse them well. This gets rid of the sliminess that forms overnight. I know that isn't the most appealing description for a breakfast food, but once you rinse them you'll be good to go...no more sliminess.


Once you've rinsed them you can add them to cereal, cooked oatmeal or on top of a smoothie. For this post I used Angela's Buckwheat Parfait recipe from Oh She Glows for inspiration. I made a chocolate version by adding 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to my chia seed mixture. You can use any overnight oatmeal recipe. Then in the morning just stir in your soaked and rinsed Buckwheat Groats and you're good to go. 

Eat your oatmeal/groat mixture as is or spruce it up by making a parfait with fruit or top it off with some granola or nuts. The ski's the limit!


Eat Consciously,
     Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!