Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins

I was obsessed with zucchini bread growing up. Whenever my mom would make it I would get so excited. This week we just had some new neighbors move in, so I thought I'd make some zucchini muffins to bring over so we can introduce ourselves. Hope they like them!

Zucchini Muffins
(Makes 16 muffins)

Adapted from http://www.veggiemealmaker.com/

Ingredients:

3 cups shredded zucchini (I used two medium)
2/3 cups unsweetened applesauce
Equivalent of 2 eggs*
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup natural cane sugar
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup craisins, raisins, or walnuts (optional)

*In a small bowl I whisk together two tablespoons of ground flaxseed with six tablespoons of water. Then let it sit for five minutes. Vegan "eggs"! (for one egg, just half this recipe: one tablespoon of flaxseed and three tablespoons of water)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the shredded zucchini, apple sauce, flax seed eggs, vanilla and sugar until combined and bubbly.


In a different bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients except for the craisins, if using.

Add the dry mixture to the wet, zucchini mixture and stir until combined. Then add in optional ingredients and give everything a final mix.


Fill 16-18 muffin cups and for 20 minutes or until brown and cooked through. Eat up!


(Per Muffin: 135 Cals; Fat: 0.8g; Fiber 3g; Protein 3.5g; Sugar 13g)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I always love hearing from my readers!